Query 1]

I am salaried person having gross salary more than Rs. 5 Lacs.  The ceiling limit of Rs. 5 Lacs for e-filing of income tax return is with reference to taxable income (after all deductions like LIC, PPF etc) or assessable income(gross income)? What is the website link through which online return has to be submitted? [Syam Sundar, Jabalpur-syamkkhm@gmail.com]


E-filing is mandatory if the Gross Total Income (i.e., income before deduction under Chapter VI-A) exceeds Rs. 5 Lacs. It may be noted that deduction towards LIC/PPF/NSC/Housing loan principal repayment etc are available u/s 80C which is included in Chapter- VI-A only. The online return could be filed by logging in at www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.


Query 2]

  1. I was allotted the PAN Card 7 years back. I have filed the return also once with the same PAN number. But, since last two years, I am not able to file the return as the card & PAN Number is missing and I have not noted / recorded the number elsewhere. How can I get the PAN number & the card back? Should I apply afresh for the new PAN Card? [R.K. Sinha, Pandhurna]
  2. I have lost my PAN card & don’t remember my PAN number also. I cannot find my PAN number through “Know Your PAN” option also at the NSDL site as I don’t remember the required details. Can I fill the PAN rectification form & get my old PAN number back? [Nilanjan Banerjee-nilanjan_27@yahoo.co.in]


  1. Anyone who have lost PAN Card & don’t remember the Permanent Account Number as well can retrieve the Number by entering the required data at the following link: https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/knowpan.do”.
    Once the person get the Permanent Account Number from the above link, they can apply for duplicate PAN by making an application in the form titled “Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN data”. The form can be downloaded from the websites of UTI Technology Services Ltd (UTITSL), National Securities Depository Ltd (NSDL), or the I-T department [utitsl.co.in, www.tin-nsdl.com or www.incometaxindia.gov.in].
  2. As mentioned above, Mr. Nilanjanji, you would be required to file the rectification form titled as “Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN data” for getting the PAN Card. However, the form can be filed only after mentioning the original Permanent Account Number. It is a bit difficult exercise to get the PAN without knowing the number. The only possible remedy in such case could be to approach the concerned Assessing Officer with an informal request to help in locating the PAN.


Query 3]

If I am having the following income for the assessment year 2013-14: 

  1. Income from Salary
  2. Income from one house property
  3. Interest from fixed deposit
  4. Maturity amount (Rs. 1 Lacs) of LIC policy

Kindly advise whether I have to file ITR- 1 or ITR-2



You have to file Income Tax Return using form ITR- 2 as you don’t have any income chargeable under the head “Income from Business & Profession”.


Query 4]

In my case, there is a difference of “Gross” (before tax) income, between form 26AS (submitted by my employer to the Govt., as appearing on net) & Form No. 16A (sent to me) for filing ITR. Based on the Form No. 16, I have filed my ITR for the subject year & got acknowledgment also. But, when I looked for Form 26AS, as suggested by you, I observed that there is difference in “Gross” income shown in Form 26AS (excess to that of Form 16A, sent to me) i.e., The Gross income is shown short in Form 16 & the tax has accordingly been deducted from my salary, deposited in Govt. A/c & hence the return has been filed by me in accordance to Form 16. I have highlighted the issue to my employer, who have assured for necessary corrective action.

My queries are:

  1. After such necessary correction, can I file revised ITR subsequently?
  2. Is there any time period, within which these formalities need to be completed?

Please help. [Ambrish Singh-ak1954singh@gmail.com]


  1. It appears that there was an error in filing the TDS return by the employer and they have subsequently rectified the same by filing revised TDS return. You have filed your income tax return on the basis of Form No. 16 issued to you originally.
  2. In your case, you have filed your income tax return within due date of filing it (i.e., 5th August 2013 for the A.Y. 2013-14). You can revise your return on the basis of revised Form No. 16A to be issued to you. The revised income tax return can be filed by the assessee before the expiry of one year from the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of assessment, whichever is earlier.