Two adjoining flats owned by me i.e one inherited and other self bought . I also own two adjoining plots in Nagpur. As per section 54F exemption is subject to the condition that taxpayers do not own more than one house property on the date of earning LTCG. If taxpayer already owns more than one house property then exemption u/s 54F is not available to such taxpayers hence LTCG exemption cannot be claimed if I sell one or both the plots as I own 02 flats.
- Can I save LTCG tax on sale of one or both the plots by investing in bonds issued by REC, NHAI etc u/s 54 EC?
- Will indexation be applicable/allowed while arriving at net sale consideration to be invested in such bonds?
- Yes, you can get exemption u/s 54EC as there is no restriction as to ownership of house property for section 54EC exemption.
- Gains arising from transfer of any long term capital asset are exempt u/s 54EC if the assessee has within a period of 6 months after the due date of transfer invested the capital gain in long term specified bonds as notified by Government ( REC, NHAI) for a minimum period of 3 years.
- You need to invest LTCG only for 54 EC and not entire sale consideration. Investment to net sale consideration is relevant only for exemption u/s 54F